Our museum store has an always changing variety of things for sale, including one-of-a-kind antique or vintage decorative items and jewelry, clothing, and rare books. But we also carry a number of new books about Alameda history, and our latest addition is the new book by Dennis Evanosky and Eric Kos: Bay Farm Island, A Hidden History of Alameda. We have a limited number of these books available at the best price: $25! Note: Only cash or checks are accepted in our museum store. Open whenever the museum is open, Wed-Fri & Sun 1:30-4; Sat, 11-4.
We started be selling Legacy Home Tour tickets at the Museum on Wednesday, September 4. The last day of the pre-sale will be September 21. The museum will be closed on the day of the Legacy Home Tour, September 22, 2019. Pre-order tickets are $35.00 each. They come with a booklet (one per group). Cash or check please (checks to be made out to ALHT). Those who bought tickets on-line can obtain a booklet (again, one per couple or family) on display of the ticket or sales receipt. The booklets and day-of-tickets will be available on September 22 at Edison school. For more information, or to buy advanced tickets on-line, see: https://alameda-legacy-home-tour.org.
On July 7, 2019, the Summer Art Fair & Maker Market was held at Oak Street and Encinal Avenue. Museum volunteers opened the museum doors early and prominently displayed the art pieces on sale in the museum shop. The synergy resulted in record attendance (as well as museum shop sales) for 2019 - thus far.
Our 4th lecture of this year's lecture series was held on July 25, Athletes and Fields of Dreams in the Island City by speaker James Francis McGee. It was another interesting talk. Earlier lectures this year were: Arrival of the Transcontinental Railroad with Dennis Evanosky and Eric Kos (April 25), A Conscise History of Alameda's Vintage Neon Signs with Greta Dutcher (May 23), and Black Military History and the Port Chicago Disaster with Leon Watkins and Larry Thompson (June 27). The last lecture this year will be all about the history of Alameda's West End, with Woody Minor (August 22).
We're hosting a booth at SF History days this coming weekend at the Old SF Mint. We will be among many displays about San Francisco History, showing how our island and the bigger city are connected. Admission is free. More information is available from their website.
This week, Museum members received a mailing asking for their decision about the Board's wishes to amend the Charter. Members have until August 10, 2018 to return their response. If approved, these changes will go into effect on Tuesday, August 14, 2018. The Board would like to ask Museum members’ approval in making four changes to the Charter. These changes will streamline the Charter and affect the number of Board members required and the way the Board conducts its meetings. The Board wishes to change Article 3 a) Description concerning the Board of Directors Current: The Corporation shall have eleven Directors, known collectively as the Board. The number of Directors may be changed by amendment of this section, or by repeal of this section and adoption of a new one,…
The 2017 Alameda Legacy Home Tour will be held on Sunday September 24, from 11am until 5pm. Enjoy a self-guided tour of the exterior charms, beautiful interiors and lush garden settings of seven spectacular historic homes. The ticket price includes a keepsake “Legacy Guidebook” and visitors may begin their tour at any home between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. on tour day. For more information or to purchase your tickets, visit alameda-legacy-home-tour.org Our annual tour raises funds to help support the Alameda Museum and the Alameda Architectural Preservation Society. Interested in Volunteering? Volunteer opportunities include welcoming guests and acting as a tour docent, and assisting with before/after tour activities. For more information on volunteering, please email: [email protected]
On Sunday January 31st, the docents of the Alameda Museum met for a training and luncheon at the museum with the Board of Directors. The luncheon, catered by Juanita’s on Park Street, was a wonderful opportunity for everyone to get to know each other better and connect. Twenty-eight volunteers were present, some of whom who have been volunteering at the museum for over 20 years, and some of whom are new to our community! The President of the Board of Directors, Dennis Evanosky, and Vice President, Adam Gillitt, led the meeting. Adam walked the docents through the nuts and bolts of opening and closing the museum and took questions on protocols and procedures. During lunch, Dennis discussed a number of topics, including how to get the Alameda community more involved…
William Worthington Chipman was born in 1820 in Vermont and grew up in Ohio, where he served as a school principal and studied law. In 1850, he came to San Francisco (via Panama) and set up a “Reading Room and Intelligence Office,” with newspapers from many cities as well as a register of “miners and strangers.” In 1851, Chipman and his business partner Gideon Aughinbaugh purchased the Encinal de San Antonio, an oak-covered peninsula which was part of the rancho of Antonio Maria Peralta, for $14,000. Chipman was hoping to establish a thriving town, while Auginbaugh’s dream was to plan commercial orchards for the lucrative San Francisco market. They imported fruit trees from the East, and auctioned off lots. [caption id="attachment_1929" align="alignleft" width="300"] c. 1850 Ambrotype of Alameda co-founder W.…
Museum Director Jim Smallman was kind enough to create this brief presentation about the renovation of the Carriage House at the Meyers House and Garden. With many photos, the presentation charts the progress from inception to completion. Please click below to open the PDF in your browser or download it to your computer. MHG Carriage House Construction presentation