By Judith Lynch
The Meyers House is the only vintage home in Alameda open to the public. For the past 16 years, the home has been open only one day each month, staffed by volunteers under the direction of Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn. The gracefully proportioned Colonial Revival house was completed in 1897.
The Meyers family bequeathed the property to the Alameda Museum and the city in 1994.
At first the museum and the city’s Recreation and Park Department co-managed the house. Last year sole ownership of the property passed to the museum. The board of directors started a much-needed capital campaign to cover maintenance, such as painting, and to upgrade the home for events like weddings. Spurred by the need for more public education and major fundraising, Gunn decided to open the house twice each month: from 1 to 4 p.m. on the second and fourth Saturdays, beginning this Saturday, Jan. 11.